sc335 biochemistry unit 6 assignment 1
For your Assignment you will be preparing a case study. A case study reflects a detailed analysis of a particular situation or person over a period of time. You will use your textbook and additional internet research along with a little creativity to create a detailed investigation into an assigned disease state. Remember that a good case study in not a description but more of an experience for the reader to be able to walk through the processes that occur and come to a specific conclusion.
Case Study – Diabetes
For your Assignment you will be creating a case study based on an individual who has been diagnosed with diabetes mellitus. Diabetes affects hundreds of millions of people worldwide and is the most common serious metabolic disease. One of the principle features of diabetes is the imbalance between the hormone insulin and glucose levels. There are two types of diabetes. You can choose to concentrate your case study on the biochemical processes that occur when the body is not able to produce insulin in Type 1 Diabetes or how the cells are not able to respond to insulin in a Type 2 Diabetic. This Assignment will be presented in the form of a power point with detailed notes.
Your case study needs to include:
- A description of the problem or case question you want the reader to solve.
- An introduction to the patient or case
- An explanation of the defects associated with this disease. Please concentrate your communications on the biochemical related events in the blood, pancreas and liver. You should provide bulleted highlights in the slide and then a detailed explanation in the notes section of the slide or a separate document.
- Include a description of how the metabolism, biosynthesis and function of carbohydrates in the living cell are relative to this disease state.
- A review of diagnostic and preventative measures.
Basic Writing Expectations:
This Assignment can be submitted using the provided Microsoft PowerPoint template, or you may use Microsoft Word to present the necessary information.
The explanation of the biochemical processes involved needs to be in essay format. You may provide this information in the notes section of the slide presentation or a separate Word document.
- Free of grammatical and spelling errors
- No evidence of plagiarism
You should provide the requested information with references. References should be complied into a list in APA style. Refer to the APA Quick Reference Guide.
Submitting your Assignment
Save your Assignment on your computer using the proper naming convention: last name/first name-SC335-section-UnitX-Assignment (section is your course section, X is your Unit number). When you are ready to submit your Assignment, select the Unit 6 Assignment Dropbox then attach your file. Make sure to save a copy of the Assignment you submit.
To view your graded work, come back to the Dropbox or go to the Gradebook after your instructor has evaluated it.