Management Information System
Management Information System
GUIDELINES FOR ASSIGNMENT
- If assignment is Question & Answer based then.
- Introduction is needed for each question.
- Question has to be answered based on the mark allotted for each question with references if any idea or information is taken from other source.
- If assignment is case based then,
- Executive summary
- Table of content
- Body of assignment (questions related to case need to be answered)
- Conclusion / Recommendation if any
- References (in-text + citation) to be used
Plagiarism is a form of cheating, by representing someone else’s work as your own or using someone else’s work (another student or author) without acknowledging it with a reference. This is a serious breach of the Academic Regulations and will be dealt with accordingly. Students found to have plagiarised can be excluded from the program.
Plagiarism occurs whenever you do any of the following things without acknowledging the original source:
- Copy information from any source (including the study guide, books, newspapers, the internet)
- Use another person’s concepts or ideas
- Summarise or paraphrase another person’s work.
How do I avoid plagiarism?
To ensure you are not plagiarising, you must acknowledge with a reference whenever you:
- use another person’s ideas, opinions or theory
- include any statistics, graphs or images that have been compiled or created by another person or organization
- Paraphrase another’s written or spoken word.
Please note claiming that you were not aware of need to reference is no excuse.
Part A: Short Answer Questions.
Answer ALL questions from this section – Each question contains sub questions.
QUESTION 1 – This question contains two sub questions a and b.
- Explain the importance of data mining tools and the types of information they produce. In what type of circumstance would you advise a company to use data mining?
- Describe the use of personalization and customization in e-commerce. What business value do these techniques have?
QUESTION 2 This question contains two sub questions a and b.
a. Authentication technologies that can be used to prevent hackers from gaining access to organizational systems. Discuss.
b. Information ethics govern the ethical and moral issues arising from the development and use of information technologies, as well as the creation, collection, duplication, distribution, and processing of information itself (with or without the aid of computer technologies. Organizations should implement certain e-policies to protect themselves. Discuss.
QUESTION 3 – This question contains two sub questions a and b.
- Analyse the management report below. What type of IS produced such a report? Why? At what organizational level is this IS used?
- Name the following diagram, explain its purpose and the information presented below including number of tables, relationships titles and types.
QUESTION 4 – This question contains two sub questions a and b.
a. Explore the Web for the latest World Internet Users Population Stats for 2019 comparing at least 4 world regions (for example: Africa, Asia, Europe, Middle East) in terms of Internet users distribution % and penetration rate (% population).
b. Apply Porter’s Five Forces analytical framework to the Internet. Your answer should include critical elements supported with evidence/ justification.
QUESTION 5 – This question contains two sub questions a and b.
a. Describe at least two benefits of using enterprise systems.
b A family-owned manufacturer of high-end vacuums has grown exponentially over the last few years. However, the company is having difficulty preparing for future growth. The only information system used is an antiquated accounting system. The company has one manufacturing plant located in Iowa; and three warehouses, in NYC, WDC, and California. The sales force is national, and it purchases about 25 percent of its vacuum parts and materials from a single overseas supplier. You have been hired to recommend the information systems should be implemented in order to maintain their competitive edge. However, there is not enough money for a full-blown, cross-functional enterprise application, and you will need to limit the first step to a single functional area or constituency. What will you choose, and why?
Part B: Case Study and Application Questions
Answer ALL the following questions. You may consult your study material and explore the Web where applicable/required.
UPS has been expanding its package delivery and logistics services in China, serving both multinational companies and local businesses. UPS drivers in China need to use UPS systems and tools such as it handheld Driver Information Acquisition Device for capturing package delivery data. UPS wants to make its WorldShip, CampusShip, and other shipping management services accessible to Chinese and multinational customers via the web.
- What are some of the international systems issues UPS must consider in order to operate successfully
b. Apply Porter’s Five Forces analytical framework to UPS. Your answer should include critical elements and supported with evidence/ justification.
c. Discuss UPS embracement of sustainable technologies and the benefits of doing so.
d. Identify UPS’s competitive strategy using Porter’s generic strategies framework. Your answer should include critical elements and supported with evidence/ justification.
- Discuss at least three types of security issues that might UPS encounter with the tracking technology it has and how to protect itself.