Assigned Saturday, March 9, 2013
Response due Saturday, March 23, 2013
Research and provide answers for the following topics and terms.
The first government of the new United States of American existed
from 1777 to the drafting of the US Constitution in the summer of
1787. It was replaced by the drafting of the US Constitution.
Answer the following questions about this government, the people who helped create it, and the events during the 10-year life of this government that led to its replacement with the creation of the Constitution of the United States in 1787.
1. Provide a title and general description of the first government of the United States of America
1a. When and how was it was developed, what was the structure
and where did the majority of power in this government
1b. What were the major strengths and/or weaknesses of this new
government? Look specifically at issues of taxation, foreign
diplomacy, interstate trade, national prestige, both executive
and judicial authority.
2. The terms â€œconservativeâ€ and â€œliberalâ€ are continually misused by modern people to describe North American colonists who wanted to remain part of the British Empire, and colonists who wanted to separate from the British Empire.
Using a standard, but very general, definition of the terms:
â€œconservativeâ€ is someone who resists change, considers any type of change to be â€œradical,â€ believes in maintaining either the status quo, or returning to some past time period when life was theoretically better.
â€œliberalâ€ is someone who supports a radical change in the current status quo, and does not believe the past was necessarily better.
Apply these definitions to the following, with a small description and reasons for your labeling. Apply John Lockeâ€™s â€œSocial Contractâ€ theory if applicable.
2a. Loyalists and Patriots during the American War for
2b. the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd meetings of the Continental Congress
(provide the dates for the convening of these meetings)
2c. John Dickinson
2d. Robert Morris
3. What and when was the Newburgh Conspiracy? Who were
major people involved? What was the principal issue that led
to this event? Define and explain how the following was involved:
3a. securities (do not use the modern definition; apply this to the
time period under discussion)
3b. Bank of North America
3c. Alexander Hamilton
3c. General Horatio Gates and the Continental Army
3d. Gen. George Washington
4. What and when was the Annapolis Convention? Provide the purpose,
whether or not the purpose was accomplished, and the result.
5. What and when was Shaysâ€™ Rebellion? How is it associated with the
first government of the US, and why does it act as a final stimulation
to make a change to that government?
6. Define the following terms, and relate your definition â€“ with examples as appropriate — to the period of study in this worksheet:
PAGE * MERGEFORMAT 2
These are all short essay answer questions. They require What, When (Dates), Why and Outcomes