HLTH 4115 WU Healthcare Organization Promotion in Your Community Discussion
Harris, J.M. (2017). Healthcare strategic planning (4th ed). Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press.
- Chapter 9, “Phase IV: Transitioning to Implementation” (pp. 183-204)
Keehler, J. (2019, February 13). Seven essential inbound marketing strategies for healthcare. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesagencycouncil/2…
Megwalu, A. & Doherty, A. (2019, January). Collecting to the core-social media in education, healthcare and marketing. Against the Grain. 29(6), 45-46. Retrieved from https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?ar…
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011). Good Samaritan Hospital organizational chart – Week 4: Concepts of marketing and business development. Baltimore, MD: Author.
This week, Vice President of Strategic Planning and Business Development Jennifer Wilkerson discusses two of the projects Good Samaritan Hospital implemented from the strategic plan, the Spine Center and Joint Experience, and how strategic planning and marketing were intertwined for their success.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011). Week 4: Concepts of marketing and business development – Jennifer Weiss Wilkerson (Video Transcript). Baltimore, MD: Author.
Discussion: Healthcare Organization Promotion in Your Community
As with any other organization, once a product is developed by a healthcare organization it needs to be promoted to its target market. Promotion ensures that customers are aware of a product’s existence, availability, and scope.
Promotion can take many forms and is often tailored to the results of market analysis. Advertising is the most common form of promotion; however, promotion efforts may also include personal selling, sales promotion, public relations, and direct marketing. As you go about your day, make a deliberate effort to be aware of examples of promotion from healthcare organizations you may not otherwise have recognized. Try to understand the thought behind these efforts considering the concepts that have been discussed in recent weeks. Think about the impact these promotions have on you and your community.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources.
- Refer back to the healthcare organization you selected in Week 2.
By Day 4
Post a comprehensive response to the following:
- Describe one of your healthcare organization’s promotions (one of the 4 P’s of marketing mix). Include a link to the example if available or attach an image or illustrations.
- Describe the marketing message and the target audience for that message.
- Explain how this promotion might reflect the strategic initiatives or marketing strategy of the healthcare organization.
- How do you think this promotion might reflect the effectiveness of the marketing message?
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues’ postings in one or more of the following ways:
- Describe the similarities and differences between your healthcare organization’s promotion effort and your colleague’s.
- Describe the similarities and differences between the marketing message of yours and your colleague’s healthcare organizations with relation to target audience and effectiveness.
- Do you think the selected promotion of your healthcare organization might fit into your colleague’s healthcare organization?
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you have learned and/or any insights you have gained as a result of your colleagues’ comments. You are welcome to post these final insights.
Support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and/or additional sources as appropriate. Your citations must be in APA 7 format.