A brief situational statement:
Ethnography is a genre of writing that uses fieldwork to provide a descriptive study of human societies. In this instance, you will observe an area of Facebook.
The steps of this exercise:
1. Choose an area of Facebook where there is ample human interaction (Facebook news feed, your page, your friendâ€™s page, a fan page, an app, etc.). Write down your observations. Try to be objective as you look for manifestations of the idea with which youâ€™ve been working.
2. Under your objective observation, write an analysis informed by the texts weâ€™ve read thus far.
3. The analysis should cover the following: what area of Facebook have you chosen? What are people doing/saying? What conclusions can you draw about the nature of human relations? What might be the impact of social networking on society?
Details of this exercise:
1. The first part of your ethnography will be observation; the second half will be analysis.
2. No more than 2 double-spaced pages. Follow MLA format, including a â€œWorks Citedâ€ list.