CASH FLOWS AND FINANCIAL STATEMENTS AT SUNSET BOARDS, INC. Sunset Boards Is A Small Company That Manufactures And Sells Surfboards In Malibu. Tad Marks, The Founder Of The Company, Is In Charge Of The Design And Sale Of The Surfboards, But His Background
CASH FLOWS AND FINANCIAL STATEMENTS AT SUNSET BOARDS, INC.
Sunset Boards is a small company that manufactures and sells surfboards in Malibu. Tad Marks, the founder of the company, is in charge of the design and sale of the surfboards, but his background is in surfing, not business. As a result, the company’s financial records are not well maintained.
The initial investment in Sunset Boards was provided by Tad and his friends and family. Because the initial investment was relatively small, and the company has made surfboards only for its own store, the investors haven’t required detailed financial statements from Tad. But thanks to word of mouth among professional surfers, sales have picked up recently, and Tad is considering a major expansion. His plans include opening another surfboard store in Hawaii, as well as supplying his “sticks” (surfer lingo for boards) to other sellers.
Tad’s expansion plans require a significant investment, which he plans to finance with a combination of additional funds from outsiders plus some money borrowed from banks. Naturally, the new investors and creditors require more organized and detailed financial statements than Tad has previously prepared. At the urging of his investors, Tad has hired financial analyst Christina Wolfe to evaluate the performance of the company over the past year.
After rooting through old bank statements, sales receipts, tax returns, and other records, Christina has assembled the following information:
Cost of goods sold $169,619 $248,263
Cash 28,372 42,865 Depreciation 55,50662,738
Interest expense 12,06713,831
Selling & administrative expenses 38,668 50469
Accounts payable 20,14334,091
Net fixed assets 244,881298,350
Accounts receivable 20,10426,078
Notes payable 22,85524,955
Long-term debt 123,607140,000
New equity 0 15,000
Sunset Boards currently pays out 40 percent of net income as dividends to Tad and the other original investors, and has a 30 percent tax rate. You are Christina’s assistant, and she has asked you to prepare the following:
- In an Excel document, prepare the following financial statements for the mini-case “Cash Flows and Financial Statements at Sunset Boards, Inc.” on pages 47 and 48 of the textbook:
- Income Statement for 2014 and 2015
- Balance Sheet for 2014 and 2015
- In the Excel document, also calculate:
- the Operating Cash Flow for each year
- the Cash Flow from Assets for 2015
- the Cash Flow to Creditors for 2015
- the Cash Flow to Stockholders for 2015
- Tad Marks, the company’s founder, is considering expanding the business, which will require a substantial investment. Evaluate the financial statements you have developed and Sunset Board’s cash flow.
- In your Excel document or a separate Word document, write a paragraph explaining whether you feel expansion would be a wise choice and why.