Advance health informatics
This project also shows different ways of defining and solving complex problems depending on the perspective of the team.
1. Read about the NAE Grand Challenges of Engineering and select 1 challenge to research using the library database Compendex (Engineering Village) � see HW04 for details, and remember that you cannot select the Grand Challenge �Provide Access to Clean Water� and �Making Solar Energy Economical�.
2. During your research, select 2 journal articles and/or conference papers that approach the challenge using different strategies. The journal articles/conference papers should be closely related (similar specific topics).
3. Read the articles and take notes. Focus your reading on the Introduction, Literature Review, and/or Background sections. Specifically look at how the author(s) write about the problem identification as well as review and cite relevant literature related to the problem.
4. Write a compare and contrast paper (you are NOT summarizing the articles/papers) informing the audience how the authors began to solve the complex problem stated within the NAE Grand Challenge, again focusing on problem identification and the relevant literature.
5. Repeat the process of selecting and researching a Grand Challenge for Tech Brief #2 and the Presentation (note: this portion of the project is later in the semester).
Content of Submissions (both written and oral):
1. Briefly, describe the NAE Grand Challenge, focusing on the need for this research or development.
2. Compare and Contrast the technology presented in your sources (problem identification, proposed solution, methods, DATA, conclusions, and/or future work).
3. Identify your sources with properly formatted citations. A minimum of 3 sources are required; 2 must be the journal articles/conference papers. The third reference may be the NAE Grand Challenges website; additional sources (but not Wikipedia) may be used. You must use the IEEE citation style.
Written Format Requirements: Prepare a compare/contrast paper.
� 500 to 600 words
� 1� margins
� double spaced
� font: 12 pt. Times New Roman or 11 pt. Calibri
� include graphics with proper captions
Oral Format Requirements: Prepare and practice.
� dress well
� 5 to 7 minutes (no substantial videos)
� must be prepared using PowerPoint
� must be submitted by midnight the night prior (submission link will close)
� graphics are required
Note: You will be selecting 2 Grand Challenges. The first will be used in the writing assignment; the second will be used for the presentation. Please pay attention to the due dates in the table on the next page.
Descriptions of Deliverables:
Tech Briefs (2, with different due dates)
You will select two different topics (NAE Grand Challenges) for this project (due dates are different and posted in the table): one for the written portion and a second for the presentation.
In memo format, provide the following information:
1. List the NAE Grand Challenge selected.
2. A short description (paragraph) about the NAE Grand Challenge selected:
i. How does it relate to engineering (what field(s))?
ii. Why is it important?
3. A list of the 2 journal articles/conference papers you will analyze (upload both to Bb Learn).
i. Use proper citation format following IEEE guidelines.
ii. Indicate the type of publication (journal article or conference paper).
4. Create a table with the following information:
i. Web Searching
1. Do some web searches to see if you can find more background information about your grand challenge or a method for tackling your grand challenge. What keywords did you use to search?
2. Do any of the websites you found provide you with information you�d like to cite in your paper? If so, list your website citations here, using IEEE citation style.
ii. Library Catalog Search
1. Do a search in the Library�s Catalog to see if you can find any books that might be relevant to your Grand Challenge. What keywords did you use to search?
2. If you find you any that you intend to use as a sources for your paper, list them here using IEEE citation style.
1. Search Compendex to find research papers or articles relevant to your paper. What keywords did you use to search?
2. Find two articles that are research articles. You can identify research articles because they will have some or most of these sections: Introduction, Methods, Results, Discussion, Conclusion. List at least two research articles or papers you intend to use for your paper. Use IEEE citation style.